Esperanto-USA periodically hosts a film festival with cash prizes for the best submissions. There is no entry fee, and you don’t have to join Esperanto-USA to enter.
Esperanto-USA’s fifth film festival is happening now! All genres are welcome. Your film simply has to be less than five minutes long and entirely in Esperanto, with at least ten unique spoken words and a visible lantern featured as the required prop. The American Good Film Festival is the most successful film competition in the history of constructed languages. Become a part of cinematic history by creating a film in this easy-to-learn second language and you’ll be eligible to win up to $1400. The deadline is 11:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2023.
- First place – $1200
- Second place – $800
- Third place – $600
- Fourth through tenth place – $200 each
- Audience Choice Award – $200
- Film Festival Poster
- A poster about the contest you can print up and share.
- FAQs about Esperanto
- A guide compiled by Logan Hall about the Esperanto language and its community.
- Pronouncing Esperanto
- A guide from David K. Jordan. How to pronounce Esperanto without even knowing any Esperanto!
- The Making of “Piro Kavaliro”
- A video in which Rachel shows how they made their Esperanto short film for the 2nd festival.
- Fajro! Fajro! kaj aliaj teatraĵetoj
- A full audiobook of short scenes and dialogues in Esperanto which can be adapted into films for this contest.
- Formula Phrases
- Sample phrases in Esperanto from the textbook by David Richardson.
- Rubric for the Judges
- The rubric which the judges use to give points to the films.
Results of past festivals
- Winners of the 4th festival, October 2022
- Winners of the 3rd festival, May 2022
- Winners of the 2nd festival, October 2021
- Winners of the 1st festival, May 2021
Our YouTube Channel
Also check out the Esperanto-USA YouTube Channel, where you can find all of our past festival films, videos from our congresses, and more!