Board minutes from April 13th, 2019

Mission Statement:

Esperanto USA is a non-profit organization that encourages and strengthens the Esperanto community in the United States and its territories by facilitating support and communication for local groups and providing a centralized set of resources for our members.

I. CALL TO ORDER 10:00 AM PDT

Board Present:

  • Phil Dorcas, President
  • Murray Merner, Treasurer
  • Chris Nelson, Secretary
  • Charlotte Burton, Director
  • Paige Miles Feldman, Director
  • Jordon Kalilich, Director
  • Nick Woods, Director

Quorum satisfied: yes (7 of the 10)

Proxies: None

Staff Present: None

Visitor(s) Present: None

Reading of the Mission Statement

II. CHANGES TO AGENDA

None

III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES

Motion by Charlotte and seconded by Nick to accept the Minutes of March 9, 2019 as written. Unanimously accepted without change.

IV. STANDING REPORTS

A. Director of Central Office – Not present, no report

B. Treasurer – Murray

Handouts. First quarter of 2019 Actuals and Investment Assets were provided by Bill and reviewed by Murray. Investments doing better that 1Q last year. Significant reduction of “Rent and Utilities” as expected and some expenditures still need further explanation.

C. President – Phil

Efforts need to be made to communicate with membership.

D. Region and Local Groups

Phil reported need to make efforts with local groups. Two of the Region Coordinators are not E-USA members, but have indicated an intent to join. Can have a Zoom meeting with Region Coordinators for better communication.

ACTION ITEM: Phil to follow up with local groups

E. Landa Kongreso (Jun 14) Liaison – Ben – not present

Online registration is up and running. Charlotte is working with Marcus Griep to make a video about the LK 2019.

F. Member Recruitment and Retention – Not discussed

G. USEJ – Hans – Not present, no report

USEJ event needs to be funded for next winter per conversations with Chuck Mays and Ben Speakmon at ESF for Vintra Esperanto-Kongreso (VEK). Planning and promotion will start at LK 2019.

H. Marketing and Publicity - Google Ad Grants – Murray - Not discussed

V. OLD BUSINESS

A. Fundraising – Esperanto in USA

Charlotte reported that $1,800 has been donated so far. The YouTube channel has doubled in viewership and Webinar has been presented which included: Phil, Chuck Mays, Paige, Jordon and herself. Possibly, it had a limited audience.

ACTION ITEM: Charlotte is to write an e-mail for Phil to send to publicize the fundraising effort.

ACTION ITEM: Jordon is to do an article for Usona Esperantisto.

B. UK2020 (Montreal) Support – Ĵenja – not present – not discussed

C. Jarlibro

Phil did not think the Jarlibro would be finished before Landa Kongreso.

ACTION ITEM: Phil to work on the Jarlibro.

VI. NEW BUSINESS

A. Ballots and voting

Bill has made ballots for Board candidates and revised bylaw changes that relate to voting precedures and need to be sent to members 60 days prior to the LK 2019.

B. Funding request of Thomas Alexander for $10,000

Because of need for more Esperanto videos and Thomas being able to recogiize the support of E-USA, a motion was made, seconded and passed to allot $5,000 from the Education Video fund and propose a match with ESF matching funds.

ACTION ITEM: Paige to approach Chuck Mays of ESF to match our $5,000.

C. Goldman Fund

Need for: monitoring, disposition and reports to the Board. Set up process to handle LK stipends and determine what is expected of recepients. Areas include: stipends for Landa Kongreso, working with Ellen Eddie regardng NASK stipends, special projects, regional requests, youth fund, how to spread the “Esperanto in the USA” money. Since Charoltte processed the stipends last year, she volunteered to write up guidelines. Phil motioned that Jordan be chairman of the Goldman Fund; Charlotte seconded the motion and it passed unamoulsy (with Jordon abstaining). It was further noted that if any Board member recieves a stipend request they should notify Jordon. ACTION ITEM: Charlotte will write out guidelines for awarding stipends.

VII. COMMENTS, ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OTHER BUSINESS

None

VIII. ADJOURNMENT

Adjourned 11:00 AM PDT

Next meeting is: May11, 2018 at 10:00 PDT

Respectfully submitted,
Chris Nelson, Secretary

ACTION ITEMS

  • ACTION ITEM: Phil to follow up with local groups
  • ACTION ITEM: Charlotte is to write an e-mail for Phil to send to publicize the fundraising effort.
  • ACTION ITEM: Jordon is to do an article for Usona Esperantisto.
  • ACTION ITEM: Phil to work on the Jarlibro.
  • ACTION ITEM: Phil will call Bill about sending out ballots.
  • ACTION ITEM: Paige to approach Chuck Mays of ESF to match our $5,000.
  • ACTION ITEM: Charlotte will write out guidelines for awarding stipends.