Estrara Kunsido, 12an de januaro de 2019
I. CALL TO ORDER 8:00 AM PST
- Phil DORCAS, President
- Ben SPEAKMON, Vice President
- Murray MERNER, Treasurer
- Chris NELSON, Secretary
- Hans BECKLIN, Director
- Tim BORONCZYK, Director
- Charlotte BURTON, Director
- Jordon KALILICH, Director
- Paige FELDMAN MILES, Director
- Nick WOODS, Director
- Bill HARRIS, Director of the Central Office
- Janjo Pacejo, Bostono LKK
II. CHANGES TO AGENDA
- To discuss publishing Board meeting minutes - Murray
- Briefing on TEJO - Hans
III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- November 10, 2018, approved
- December 8, 2018, approved
IV. STANDING REPORTS
Director of Central Office
Settled in from move. Still some boxes of books to unpack. Financial reports should be completed for February Board meeting. Taking registrations for NASK and LK. Current membership 566.
Reported on current status of investments. Reminded Board of 2019 budget. Proposal of house donation still in discussion stage.
Nominating committee is in place - see Old Business
Landa Kongreso Liaison – Ben, Janjo
- Working with KEA (Kanada Esperanto-Asocio)
- June 14-17 - at Emerson College in Boston - most events will happen at Emerson
- Location is central for downtown excursions and public events
- Will try to make the congress as interactive and engaging as possible - open to ideas
- Stay at dorm - suite style - 1-2 person dorm rooms with shared bathroom
- Dorm and college accessible to people with physical limitations
- College is interested to accommodate for dietary restrictions.
- Budget and web site
- base cost $120 for the congress itself - not including stay
- lodging is more expensive
- Break even point - is 81 attendees - if 100 people attend - there would be a profit. Budget at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wLbTquKa9_gc1ptCy1Q4WWPXvEdh2I3OKHV1RdeKFIs/edit#gid=2002730520
- Already identified special guests - so as to factor in costs to transport them, etc. LK would pay for cost of flight, meals and stay - like it was done in 2018. Those interested in coming as guest speakers: Flo Matorel from Vinilkosmo and Lieben Dek.
- Web site for Landa Kongreso - just started - Jordon offered help
- Janjo to talk with Murray re: Google Ad Grants
- Janjo is a Duolingo Event Host and will see if the event announcement coverage can be expanded
It was noted that the EUSA budget was a credit of $2,000 for the “Convention.” Less than that would increase the deficit. Budget for LK approved.
V. OLD BUSINESS
Funding for the Amsterdam Chair
It was agreed that EUSA had made an formal or informal commitment to pay $1,500 towards the Amsterdam Chair fund this year. Given our financial condition, it would be difficult to pay it this year. There was a discussion of the pros and cons. It was proposed that we pay the $1,500 this year. The proposal was approved unanimously.
Google Ad Grants - Murray
Up and running - during last 30 days - 160 impressions - with 17 clicked through to EUSA web site. We are “fine tuning” ways this can be made to work better.
ESF grant application not discussed but details are on the agenda for this meeting.
UK liaison efforts. Not discussed.
Nominating Committee - Phil
The members of the committee were announced: Tim Rice as Chairman and Fred Meyer, Marcus Griep, Raúl J García and Peggy Dolter. The committee was approved.
Time allotted the for meeting expired.
Hans proposed lengthening meeting 10 minutes for discussion - Charlotte seconded - unanimously approved
VI. NEW BUSINESS
Marketing and publicity
Phil noted the need for marketing and could be discussed further in other venues.
Availability of Board meeting minutes
Board went into Executive Session for discussion of availability of Board minutes. It was approved that the Board meeting minutes be made available to EUSA members.
VII. COMMENTS, ANNOUNCMENTS AND OTHER BUSINESS
Adjourned 10:21 AM PST
Next meeting is February 9, 2019
Chris Nelson, Secretary