- Ben SPEAKMON
- Paige FELDMAN MILES
- Murray MERNER
- Nick WOODS
- Chris NELSON
- Bill HARRIS
In absence of Phil Dorcas, VP Ben SPEAKMON will chair the meeting
I. CALL TO ORDER 10:10 am (Pacific Time)
Discussion re: do we have a quorum
- 5 in attendance, need “half plus one”
- Proxies don’t count as attending Board members so lack quorum.
- Meeting can be carried out as if quorum present, but cannot have binding votes.
Read Mission statement of EUSA before each meeting
II. CHANGES TO AGENDA
III. MINUTES for November 10, 2018 meeting
Change – Charlotte Paige’s last name should be MILES -> Paige MILES
- Add date November 10, 2018
- Bill HARRIS office move update report -
- after “sent all books to Maine”- add: Chuck Mays took 7 boxes of books on behalf of ESF
- Bill: A EUSA member plans to donate a house upon death - Murray will contact Gary GRADY - re: wills and gifting
Move to accept minutes as changed - unanimously approved
IV. STANDING REPORTS
A. Director of the Central Office
Bill HARRIS - move update
- limiting sales to a few physical items
- in process of submitting documents to the State of Maine
- business as usual, operation expense report YTD to be submitted for office expenses
B. Treasurer’s Report
Murray contacted Gary about the house donation.
C. Nominating Committee
3 out of 5 members in the Committee
- Tim RICE to chair the Nominating Committee
D. Landa Kongreso-Komitato (LKK) report - discussed by Ben
- Board will need someone to start talking with them soon - need EUSA
- Ben offering to listen in on LKK’s next meeting next Tuesday December 11
- LKK zeroed in on Emerson College in Boston - smallish college in downtown Boston
- Location seems vaguely suitable for us (EUSA)
- working out budget
- expenses for LK in 2019 - waiting on budget to be submitted by LKK
- LKK - Ben will hold them accountable for determining “break even” budget for LK 2019
V. OLD BUSINESS
A. Amsterdam Chair funding (Federico Gobbo)
- ESF waiting on payment
- EUSA - “informal promise” of $3000 over a 2 year period- EUSA paid $1500 so far - $1500 still due this year
- tell ESF “sorry - cannot pay rest of amount”
- will dig into our reserves and pay - would put EUSA in financial challenges
- try to raise funds
- Awkward that we made this unofficial promise where it’s now questionable as to whether we can fulfill the promise.
- There’s a question of how much EUSA should support international Esperanto movements.
Moving on cannot make proposal on this for vote
B. Google Ad Grants - Murray
- Google Ad Grants doesn’t provide all action steps at one time for EUSA to take. requires easily identifiable purpose statement on EUSA website
- (Ben pasted copy of preamble from EUSA bylaws into Zoom chat during meeting)
- Ben suggested take first paragraph of our bylaw’s preamble and condense it to the statement.
- original paragraph: “The Esperanto League for North America, Inc. whose purpose is to further education in, and dissemination of information about, the international auxiliary language Esperanto within the United States of America.”
- Ben suggested change to remove “is constituted as a not-for-profit educational organization” and make remaining content into a complete grammatical sentence.
- Murray will pass the statement to Hoss for the website
C. ESF grants were briefly discussed.
We have received some money but not all of what was requested yet
D. UK Liaison and efforts not discussed
VI. NEW BUSINESS
A. LKK documentation
Ben will work on this
VII. COMMENTS, ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OTHER BUSINESSS
VIII. ADJOURNED at 11:00 a.m. Pacific (2:00 PM Eastern)
Next scheduled Board meeting – Saturday, January 12, 2019 (1:00 p.m., EST) (10:00 a.m., PST) (There may be an interim meeting- the Board will be informed.