Estrara Kunsido pri Financaj Aferoj
(Board of Directors Meeting on Finantial Matters)
2017 December 9 - @ 10:00 AM
- Chris NELSON
- Phil DORCAS
- Paige FELDMANN
- Charlotte BURTON
- Ben SPEAKMON
- Nick WOODS
$20,000 - from Esperantic Studies Foundation - made available to spend before end of 2018
Esperanto-USA can write a letter requesting $20,000 in grant money from Esperantic Studies Foundation. We have to decide what we’re going to be using it for - how to divy up the money.
Ideas for use of funds;:
- Youth to travel to TEJO congress
- Transportation and lodging expenses for someone to train local clubs
- Regional events - i.e. NOREK, etc.
Charlotte - NASK scholarships, attendance at regional events
Ben - whatever we do - to make life better for Esperantists in the United States - not for people who can afford what they want to do or for people outside the US. First time attendees at events, etc.
Phil - We don’t need to get too detailed on how we will spend the funds - can be detailed out later. We need general categories of types of things the funds will be used. Categories - with brief descriptions and proposed amounts to spend.
Charlotte - category suggestion - “support for first time attendance at Esperanto events”
Phil - $3000 to Amsterdam Chair (Federico GOBBO) discussed at Raleigh meeting - criticism that it will not benefit EUSA - yet relationship with Esperantic Studies Foundation is very important
Nick - $3000 to Amsterdam Chair - concern that many have not heard of the Amsterdam Chair and relevance to Esperantists in USA and Esperanto-USA.
Phil / Charlotte - re: orienational webinar by Humphrey TONKIN re: the Amsterdam Chair position, its uniqueness and important
- Support for Local Group Initiatives
- Support for Esperantists to Attend Regional and National Events
- Supporting Youth Leaders in National and International Events
Any way to insert an “education” related term in category name?
Charlotte - will make sure to highlight the educational aspects of each category names.
Discussion re: allocation of funds
- $5,000 - Support for Local Group Initiatives
- $3,000 - Supporting Youth Leaders in National and International Events
- $12,000 - Support for Esperantists to Attend Regional and National Esperanto Events
Charlotte moved to approved proposed budget for the $20,000 from Esperantic Studies Foundation.
Nick WOODS seconded
Discuss Landa-Kongreso-n (National Congress)
- Location - private Christian school in Seattle - pretty happy with place - comfortable and modern campus - with facilities tha fit needs
- Ben SPEAKMON discussed:
- Chuck SMITH - pay for trip to NASK
- La Perdita Generacio
- Venue - @ Seattle Center - for $800 - capacity @ 200
- Mark FETTES - will be there - will be part of ESF meeting happening at the same time as EUSA meeting
- 126 people - dorm capacity @ 2 per dorm + a few apartments
- 75 paid attendees will be a “break even” number based on costs vs fees
- 2nd floor area of dining hall at SPU - with caterer - good place for bank
Propose that the Board the EUSA approve the budget
- Nick WOODS moved
- Ben SPEAKMON seconded
- approved unanimously
Questions about how we’re using various funds.
Discussed with Gary GRADY.
Vision looks bright for the future.
Charlotte - put together report for publication in Usona Esperantisto re: possibilities for use of various funds
Ben - moves that we allocate $1500 from the EUSA General Fund towards Esperanto Chair for the University of Amsterdam (Federico GOBBO).
Nick - voted No - The rest voted Yes.
We need to be transparent - to say “yes, we’ve created a new web site” - board members attending board meetings of EUSA - better contact with local groups - reorganized regions - regional directors - Google Ad Words - organizational membership drive - exceptionally active Board
Changing Board from 15 to 10. Membership will be expecting proposal on how to handle it.
We’re electing 2 members for 3-year term and 1 for 2-year term - for later board meeting?
Schedule next Board Meeting - Saturday, January 13, 2018 @ 10:00 AM (Pacific) - 1:00 PM (Eastern)
Chris NELSON to check schedule and update Board con confirm availability.